Originated in the 1970s, the video game industry has pulled out all the stops today. According to a report released by Statista, the year 2020 witnessed 2.8 billion gamers worldwide. The global revenue of the mobile gaming industry in the same session was 90.7 billion U.S. dollars, followed by PC & console gaming to be 49.2 & 35.9 billion U.S. dollars, respectively.
With evolving marketing strategies, where digital firms have tried almost all sectors to sell their products, it’s strange to realize the fact that video gaming is still an untouched arena. Widely known as In-game advertising (IGA) is a recent development, which is the amalgamation of electronic gaming and advertising.
Here is a handy guide that capitulates the brief idea about riveting In-game advertising.
Know about IGA
In simple terms, IGA is advertising through video games. It dates back to 1978, first incorporated in Adventureland, where the creators publicized their next game in series.
Gaming is the preferred form of entertainment for individuals of age group 16-34 years. The virtual engagement acquainted with constant attention for an extended time fabricates the perfect pitch for an advertisement.
Varieties of IGA
Developers have transformed from basic to the most advanced kind of ads. Following is a list that elaborates the various categories of IGA.
- Static ads: As the name suggests, these are stationary ads that are mostly found as labels, billboards, flyers, or a product used during the game. The first in history was an Adidas promotion in a FIFA game from 1993.
- Dynamic ads: These emerged due to the immigration of the internet. With increased connectivity, dynamic ads offer an on-point user experience via transfer to external links. They are customized to record users’ discernible patterns of analyzing an ad.
The most important benefit of a dynamic ad is that it can be embodied into the game irrespective of the time of its creation or even after that.
Some other formats of delivering ads are as follows:
- Video-in game ads: These are engaging in nature. Rewardable ads play a key role in upscaling eCPMs, as they help users to acquire additional features or in-app purchases for free. This maintains an equilibrium between the user’s aspirations and ad revenue.
- Audio ads: Music adds life to every activity. Game is no exception to this assertion. Many Xbox and PlayStation now come with integrated music apps. Therefore, innovative audio-based ads can be curated to seek gamer’s attention. These can be interstitial or playable ads.
- Offerwall ads: It is a library of ads that are warped over the rewards. Users may willingly choose to play such ads and gain the benefits for free.
Perks of IGA
IGA is transforming business with its unique advantages. Some of them are listed below.
- Monetize your game: The bigger slot of gamers doesn’t believe in paying to play. Here, ads act as an inducer. The players can be instructed to enjoy additional features via passing the ad barrier.
It will offer a teaser of the add-on and consequently an opportunity to convert from a free to paid user. This way, developers can monetize their creation and get paid by the advertising agencies.
- Closer to reality: It is an appreciable fact that real-world ads make the game more lively. The game is instilled with an impression of the global world by a timely fit of products and news from the surrounding brands in the running loop.
Here, ads can be integrated concerning demography, audience ethnicity, and numerous behavioral patterns. Such factors enhance user experience and upscale business profits.
- Bypass ad blockers: Unlike traditional ads, IGA cannot be bypassed by adblocker. Therefore, constructing an assured method of revenue.
Hence, IGAs are capable of establishing a dynamic sales funnel, which fosters growth curves in the economic graphs of a business.